McGlynn Brothers (A) Match Report

Brothers in Arms

Wednesday the 25th August saw DCC travel to the bright lights, and glorious sunshine of Edinburgh to take on the McGlynn Brothers at Inverleith Playing Fields. It was agreed that it would be 22 over match to accommodate every player getting to bowl a dozen deliveries. Captain Sandy Cunningham and Johnny McGlynn decided to reverse the toss from the first encounter and DCC would be get first crack with the ball.

Prior to the match some transfer news broke as DCC reached an agreement to loan C. Glasgow and A. Buchanan-Smith to the Brothers on a one-match-deal…not subject to a medical.

The Yorkshire duo of Simon Breasley and Marcus Tindsley had their names called first and quickly set about trying to dismantle the top order- which included Buchanan-Smith opening. The openers gave a chance or two, but remained in after the first 4 overs, and looked poised at the cease… until the ever dangerous Gregg ‘Deadly’ Dunsire was handed the cherry and soon lodged the ball between off and middle stump. Vice Captain, Bruce Harper soon followed this up with the massive scalp of ABS with a corker for 19. The brothers then began to get the ball walking and a host of batsmen, including Glasgow and Arnold managed to navigate their score past the retirement mark of 25.

Making his debut appearance for the club, Murray McBrearty made it a dream start. In his very first over he forced his man to sky one to the safe hands of Rob Morris at mid-off. Things would only get better for him as in his next over the batsman plugged one high towards cow-corner, only for the ball to be met by the safe hands of Charlie Dunn racing round from long-on. The skipper too deserves credit for some nice length bowling that rightfully got his name in the wicket takers column, in addition to the fine job he did as stand-in keeper. The McGlynn Bro’s innings would come to end with a run out on the last ball as they finished with an impressive tally of 167-5

Best Figures: M. McBrearty (2 for 18 of 2), S. Cunningham (1 for 8 of 2), B. Harper (1 for 11 of 2)

Cunningham would partner Craig Smith, who had yet to be dismissed this season, and the pair did not take long in looking to reel in the 1st innings score. The pair displayed some high quality batting and Smith would be the first to be summoned off by the scorer, and the captain soon joined him. The Vice would be the next to wander out to the middle and with a short-ish boundary and a quick outfield the situation seemed perfect for his brutal style, however Arnold would turn traitor once more and bowled him without adding much damage. Rob Passe would too unfortunately return back behind the rope without forwarding the cause.

The innings was in need of a bit of impetus and Paul Symington answered the call with a mesmeric knock. Making his first appearance of the summer, the classy batsmen cannoned the ball all around, and out, of the park in rapidly reaching the 25 mark. He would be supported for the latter half of his knock by M. Tindsley who sent the ball over the norther wall and into traffic. C. Dunn joined Tindlsey in the middle but after a sledge from the retired batsmen, he became overly aggressive and was stumped for 7. Breasley would then partner Tindlsey for a Yorkshire takeover of the middle and both men proved that cricket was in their DNA and returned to the boundary edge keeping their stumps intact. With the run rate now below a run-a-ball victory was in sight, and McBrearty only kept things heading in the right direction with a comfortable display, including one incredible swish of the pads for 6. Regrettably he was unable to see DCC over the line, but club stalwarts Dunsire and Morris, despite their best efforts to get run out, saw the score over the line with an over to spare as Morris flicked one past square leg.

Top scorers: Breasley (27), Symington (27), Tindlsey (26), Cunningham (25), Smith (25*)

Despite it being only our second fixture against the McGlynn Brothers we all relish this fixture for years to come and greatly appreciate their fantastic company.

MOTM: Murray McBrearty – ‘Great to finally be involved in a game that wasn’t called off.’

RESULT: DCC VICTORY BY 3 WICKETS (3 game win-streak)

Played 8 | Won 6 | Lost 2